Guardians of the Galaxy is widely considered the most enjoyable of the big-budget superhero franchises, but there’s still a major problem with it: Everyone’s obsessed with the male Guardians (Groot, Peter Quill, and Rocket) when they should be gaga for Gamora (Zoe Saldana), the best character in the franchise. This isn’t up for debate.
Seriously, people, Gamora deserves more shine. She’s lightning-fast, kicks the most ass, and is, low-key, the funniest character. Groot may have his facial expressions, and Quill may have his dance moves (or whatever), but Gamora’s brand of snarky, under-the-radar humor trumps everything. She’s the goddess of the galaxy, to be honest. Let me explain.
1. The fact that her first spoken line in the franchise is “It will be your doom.” She isn’t playing games.
2. When she makes it very clear that she never fails.
3. This photo of her leaning against a wall, eating, and throwing Quill major side-eye.
4. She follows this by kicking him and stealing the Orb, by the way.
5. Actually, she kicks him a lot of times in this movie. Exhibit B:
6. She punches him in several, erm, sensitive areas too.
7. Gamora is clearly the strongest Guardian: Look at how she breaks free from Groot’s tree-trunk grip.
8. And the wittiest: She has time to pepper knock-down, drag-out fights with pithy one-liners.
9. Look at her smizing for the gods in this mugshot.
10. Gamora just DGAF, really. Right after hearing how terrifying and violent Drax the Destroyer is, she has no qualms about putting a knife to his throat.
11. Seriously, she isn’t afraid of him, like, at all.
12. She rebukes gender stereotypes like a boss.
13. For example, instead of falling for Quill’s charms and kissing him, she does this.
14. But not before saying, “I’m not some starry-eyed waif here to succumb to your pelvic sorcery.” Pelvic. Sorcery.
15. She held this position long enough to have an entire conversation.
16. And always insults Quill instead of answering his questions.
18. It’s incredible.
19. Remember when Quill saved Gamora, but she couldn’t be bothered with thanking him because he lost the Orb? Queen.
20. And who can forget the time she delivered some serious feels?
21. Or last but not least: The time she spoke the GD truth?
The Guardians of the Galaxy sequel is in theaters now.