Now that Stranger Things has officially been renewed for season three, it’s time to kick those fan theories into high gear—namely, anything having to do with Steve and Dustin. The duo charmed our hearts in ways we never expected, and that friendship extended off-screen as well between co-stars Joe Keery and Gaten Matarazzo. In person, they finish each other’s sentences in person and have in-depth conversations about almost everything. (For instance, thinking about changing your name to “Taco?” Yep, they have deep thoughts on that.) So when we had them come to our Glamour Los Angeles office to play a game of “Live Life Advice,” the two were more than ready to play therapist and reveal more about themselves in the process. Watch the video, above, and then read on for five amazing things we learned about Joe and Gaten.
1. Gaten knows the perfect ’80s love song. When a Twitter user asked the guys to recommend a really cool song to sing to her girlfriend, Gaten first offered up some early Justin Bieber, before randomly bursting out the lyrics to Foreigner’s 1984 hit, “I Want to Know What Love Is.” Yes, Gaten stars on the ’80s-set Stranger Things, but since he’s only 15 years old that knowledge had to come from somewhere, right? “My parents!” Gaten says. “They always have it play on the radio, so that’s what we’d all listen to.” Note to Duffer Bros: If you guys don’t find a way to incorporate karaoke for Dustin in season three, it’ll be a lost opportunity for all of us.
2. Gaten and Joe Keery love talking about their hair. Dustin/Gaten and Steve/Joe both have an amazing head of hair, but you’ll be comforted to know that they talk about it as much as you hope they do. Take this exchange for example:
Joe: I’ve had so many bad haircuts.
Gaten: I had a horrific haircut. This guy gave me a mullet. It was honestly no business in the front, so I wore a lot of hats.
Joe: [So our advice to anyone who wants to know what to do about a bad haircut is] just don’t get a haircut. Or wear a hat.
After the cameras stopped rolling, Joe commented that Gaten just got a haircut and noted, “it’s already grown back so fast.” Gaten confirmed Joe’s timeline and said, “Yeah, I just got a haircut about a month ago, and it’s already growing back so fast.” Naturally, talk then turned to Joe’s hair (I mean, even co-star David Harbour’s Instagram account is dedicated to Joe and his hair), with Joe noting that “I gotta get a haircut soon.”
3. They agree on the three qualities most attractive in other people. As if we needed more proof why Joe and Gaten are national treasures, then consider this: When a Twitter user asked them about the most attractive thing about a girl, they answered in unison: “Sense of humor, intelligence, and kindness.” (Word of advice: If you want to really make them laugh, sneeze the loudest you ever have—as I did at the beginning of their video—and watch them lose it. True story.)
4. Gaten is wise beyond his years when it comes to dating etiquette. Whether Gaten has been on one date, no dates, or a bunch at this point, one thing is for sure: He knows what he’s talking about. When asked about how to be likable, Gaten had the perfect response: “Talk to people. Ask about their day.” And what about who should pay on a date? While Gaten admitted that’s something he would prefer to do, he noted that he was always taught “whoever asks the person on the date should be the person that pays.” Joe, meanwhile, could use some help. “I have no idea. I’ve never been on date.” (Suuuure, buddy.)
5. Joe is a Polaroid bandit. In our Glamour L.A. office, we have a photo wall with fun polaroids of everyone who comes in to visit. So before Joe and Gaten arrived, I placed the camera in a hidden spot in the green room (that way no one would start snapping pictures without asking first). Of course, somehow in the five minutes I stepped out of the room, Joe found the camera—and did just that. Good thing we didn’t run out of film for Gaten! But who could be upset with someone like Joe? He’s as nice as he seems and offers up these words of wisdom when a fan asks how to get over heartbreak: “You just gotta live your life and do it your way.” Keep doing you, Joe. Even if you’re using up all my film.