Amber Heard and Johnny Depp
Marc Andrew Deley/Invision/AP
05/27/2016 AT 03:00 PM EDT
A source tells PEOPLE that Depp, 52, was aware that Heard planned to file a domestic violence restraining order against him, and that he offered her money to make it go away.
The actress, 30, filed for the restraining order on Monday, submitting a photo that showed a bruise over one of her eyes as evidence. The photo was taken last Saturday following an allegedly violent confrontation at their apartment in downtown Los Angeles.
“Prior incidents were worse,” says the source of the alleged abuse.
Representatives and lawyers for Depp did not respond to requests for comment about the allegations of domestic abuse.
According to the source, when the cops arrived at Heard’s residence on Saturday night Depp had already left. After seeing her wounds and the trashed house, they encouraged Heard to make a statement, but she declined because she was too shaken, says the source.
Later that night two more cops returned to check on Heard and ensure that Depp had not returned to the residence, according to the source.
“This was only the latest incident,” the source says.
The restraining order comes less than a week after the actress filed for divorce.
Depp issued a statement about the divorce yesterday: “Given the brevity of this marriage and the most recent and tragic loss of his mother, Johnny will not respond to any of the salacious false stories, gossip, misinformation and lies about his personal life. Hopefully the dissolution of this short marriage will be resolved quickly.”