The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina is one of this fall’s most-anticipated shows. Based on a comic series, The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina is said to be nothing like the 1996 series Sabrina the Teenage Witch starring Melissa Joan Hart—but how so? The show doesn’t premiere until October 2018, but thankfully, Netflix just teased some photos and new details. Here’s everything concrete we know so far about your next TV obsession.
1. It will premiere on October 26, 2018. Just in time for Halloween, natch. The show’s been green-lit for two, 20-episode seasons.
2. It’s created and executive produced by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, the brain behind Riverdale. So expect a dark, edgy approach to the material.
3. Kiernan Shipka is playing Sabrina Spellman. You probably recognize her from Mad Men, but she also played Bette Davis’ daughter in the FX series Feud: Bette and Joan.
4. This version is way scarier than the 1996 series starring Melissa Joan Hart. “Tonally in the vein of Rosemary’s Baby and The Exorcist, this adaptation finds Sabrina wrestling to reconcile her dual nature—half-witch, half-mortal—while standing against the evil forces that threaten her, her family, and the daylight world humans inhabit,” reads Netflix’s press release about the series. Netflix also calls the show a “dark coming-of-age story that traffics in horror, the occult and, of course, witchcraft.”
5. Several of the cast members have already been announced. Kiernan Shipka plays the lead, as we said. Miranda Otto and Lucy Davis are stepping into Aunt Zelda and Aunt Hilda’s shoes, respectively. Ross Lynch is playing Harvey. Other cast members include: Michelle Gomez, Chance Perdomo, Jaz Sinclair, Richard Coyle, Tati Gabrielle, Adeline Rudolph, Abigail Cowen, Lachlan Watson, Bronson Pinchot, and Gavin Leatherwood.
Melissa Joan Hart Feels “Indifferent” About the Sabrina the Teenage Witch Reboot
Kiernan Shipka Will Star in the New Sabrina the Teenage Witch Series
This Riverdale Theory Suggests Betty’s Mom Is a Witch—and Related to Sabrina Spellman